Walking the route, capacity and the Independent

Last Friday, Joe Rukin set off from Curzon Street to walk the north-east route of HS2. We’d kept the plans a bit quiet, in case he got to Day Three and decided he’d done enough. However, if you’ve subscribed to our mailing list, you will have read that he is now past Toton station, and in fact is across the River Trent.

Joe is keeping a video diary of his journey, and uploaded Day Four to our Youtube channel earlier:

In it he talks about capacity, which is once again the current argument for HS2. Whilst Joe talks about why building HS2 will not do much for releasing capacity, the Department for Transport has today announced the franchise winner for the West Coast Main Line, and also announced that there will be another 263 services a week from December 2022.  This just proves a decade of arguments from HS2 are essentially hollow.

The other news is that Joe wrote an article for the Independent, which was published on Monday in their Independent Voices section: I have spent a decade fighting HS2, and the arguments to support it keep getting worse.

PS You can keep up with Joe’s progress on Twitter, and also see longer videos on Youtube and facebook.

HS2: Still on Track?

On Thursday, ITV Central broadcast a special programme ‘HS2: still on track’. Luckily for people outside the Central region, they’ve put it on youtube.

Along side Joe Rukin, Brent Poland from Erewash and the Wildlife Trusts and others affected by HS2, they also interviewed Mark Thurston and would have interviewed Grant Shapps, the new Secretary of State for Transport, except he declined the chance to talk about HS2.

Mark Thurston’s interview was notable for his refusal to say how much HS2 is expected to cost, even though he admitted being in talks with contractors on the cost since last year.

HS2 an irrelevance for football fans traveling to Wembley

The latest comments from HS2 chair, Allan Cooke, show a bizarre lack of knowledge of the railway system from the people pushing the £55.6 bn HS2 project.

Stop HS2 chair, Penny Gaines, responded to the latest HS2 Ltd press release, which claims football fans will benefit from HS2.  She said

“HS2 Ltd are clearly hoping to bamboozle ordinary football fans and making claims that are not based on the real railway network.  When I lived in Watford, close enough to the stadium that I could hear the cheering when they scored, I used to regularly travel from Watford to Wembley.

“There are already direct services from Watford to Wembley Central taking about 25 minutes on the London Overground, and the number of possible services on this line will not be affected at all whether HS2 is built or consigned to the dustbin.

“What’s more we’ve previously been told by Philip Hammond that a factory worker from Manchester might never be able to afford the fares on HS2.  Far from scoring with HS2, football fans should show it the red card and join our call for HS2 to be cancelled.”

2010-2020 © STOP HS2 – The national campaign against High Speed Rail 2